Our Family

Our Family

Saturday, May 2, 2015

The Ancestry DNA Test

[cross-posted from my other two blogs]

An expert genealogist friend asked me about the DNA test through Ancestry.com, so I thought I would explain here for one and all (Ancestry owes me for this advertisement).

First, the regular cost is $99 US but they have sales every couple of months when the price drops to $79. There is also a shipping fee of $8 bucks something, so figure that in either way.

The kit arrives by US Mail, and opens to to reveal this:




The instructions are easy to follow. First comes the spitting into the tube - not so easy if you have dry mouth:


You have to fill it with spit, not including bubbles, to the wavy line:


Finally, I got there, and caught up in the moment was not able to snap a picture of removing the spit funnel and screwing down the cap breaking the seal to release the blue, stabilizing fluid.


Then, I sealed it in the bio-hazard spit bag that has one of those little pads that soak up moisture in case I didn't screw it down tightly enough.


I thought it best to wait until morning to pop the sealed return box into the mailbox.


And now we wait 6-8 weeks for the results.

To be continued. . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment